Sunday, January 22, 2012

My Dad ~

My Dad died a week ago this past Thursday, unexpectedly.

I knew this day was coming, eventually, but it was a shock.  There were quite a few times over the past two years he was in the hospital and very close to dying -- times we were more prepared to hear the news -- but he had been doing pretty well for quite a few months.  He was on oxygen and limited in activities but still a full part of all of our lives.  He had a cold since right after Christmas that he just wasn't getting rid of and his body couldn't handle the strain anymore.

His death was very peaceful though; he was in the home he built, in his own bed, with my Mom, sister and nephew talking with him.  He heard their voices as he took his last breath, and that gives me a lot of peace.  I did think it would be easier to accept, knowing he is finally breathing clean air and is not sick anymore -- but selfishly I am really sad.  I'm not ready to not have my Dad around to talk with, run an idea by, or to hug -- and it makes me really sad that Zoe and Ella don't have more time with him.  I feel a lot of pain for my mom too.  It all doesn't seem real.

One thing I've learned, a person is never old enough to lose a parent.

{Dad's Obituary}
Lynden Charles "Lindy" McLain

McLain, Lynden Charles "Lindy" age 73, of Buffalo passed away on Thursday, January 12, 2012 at his home. He was born on June 23, 1938 in Renville County, the son of Arlyn & Ruth Eggert McLain.

Lindy graduated from Hutchinson High School in 1956 and later attended Mankato State University for two years. He played baseball as a kid and in high school, and then town ball for the Hutchinson Hornets. He was a left-handed junk ball pitcher.

Lindy honorably served his country in The United State Army and was a proud paratrooper in The 82nd Airborne Division. On September 4th 1965 he married his best friend Dianne Soule, in Madison, South Dakota, and over the years raised three children together. He was a former business owner in Hutchinson and later a banker at First State Federal in Buffalo, where he was also the branch manager. Lindy was a faithful member of The United Methodist Church in Buffalo where he served as Lay Leader, he was involved in the formation of the Men's Club and served on the Finance Committee. He was also a past President of The Buffalo Rotary Club, past President of The Buffalo Chamber of Commerce, a Master of The Masonic Blue Lodge and participated in many other civic activities over the years.

Lindy was a woodworker at heart and truly enjoyed creating many beautiful pieces of furniture. After his retirement he happily spent a few years building grandfather clocks at Kuempel Clock and Chime Company in Deephaven. Family meant everything to Lindy and he lived his life by example. He loved Dianne and was a very devoted and involved dad and grampa. He always had time to listen and would help anyone in any way he could. He loved spending time with his family at the cabin, and will also be remembered as an inspiration to many in Little Guy Football and Baseball. 

Lindy was a very compassionate person who took pride in Buffalo and will be greatly missed by his family, many friends, neighbors, church community and civic groups. He was a special man and was one-of-a-kind.  He lived his life well.

Sleep well grampa. We love you.

11 comments:

Lisa @ Two Bears Farm said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your dad. Thinking of you and your family!

MandyE (Twin Trials and Triumphs) said...

I am so very sorry to hear of your loss, Jeremi. You and your family are in our prayers.

Rydley said...

We've been thinking of you guys. I told Jia about it and she wrote something for the girls. I'll send it your way.

Much love to you.

Annie said...

So sorry, Jeremi! Thinking of you and your family.

Mama Hen said...

My dear friend, there is nothing selfish about feeling sad. There is no right or better time to lose someone we love so dearly. This incredible pain you feel is because you loved him so greatly. That is a very special thing. It will be 14 years this February 10th that my Dad is no longer with us on earth, but the pain is the same. I am OK with it because I know that it is because we were so close. I undersand what you are going through right now and if you need a listening ear please do not hesitate to e-mail me at mamaslittlechick.com. I can give you my number if you need to talk. I found that at times it was hard to find people who understood just what I was going through back then. It is always comforting to talk with people who truly understand. I am here for you and my prayers are with you and your family.

Mama Hen

Mama Hen said...

I just wanted to let you know that I am thinking of you and your family. I will pray for all of you.

Mama Hen

Jeremi said...

thank you all, your messages mean a lot to me.

Mama Hen said...

My dear friend, I wrote to you about being able to compartamentalize my Dad's passing, but it took me many years to get there. It is my defense to the pain I feel when I think about him not being here. There is not a day that goes by that I do not think of him or miss him. If I did not feel this way then I would not be true to my feelings. My Dad and I were so close and he brightened every day! I am OK with how I feel because it only reflects just how much I love him. I cry still. My Dad's anniversary of his passing will be on February 10th and he was burried on Valentine's Day. I find that perfect, because he had such a big heart! I am here for you and I am happy you commented on my blog. I do not check my e-mail regularly, however I will e-mail you my personal e-mail and you can always write to me when you need to talk and simply vent to someone who completely understands. I know it must be so hard with your job this year and your little ones. I will pray for you and your family. Please know that I am here for you.

Mama Hen

Mama Hen said...

Oh goodness, I can't find your e-mail. You can e-mail me at cudnpud@hotmail.com. I will pray for you.

Mama Hen said...

I am just checking in on you! I hope you are doing OK my friend. I am here for you if you need anything.

Mama Hen

Library Gal Quilts said...

So sorry for your lose, Jeremi, I too lost my Dad in late October and I blogged about it too. Take care and I'll be thinking of you. Pam :)