Thursday, July 2, 2009

Our Little Conversation

I had a doctor's appointment today and brought the girls with me.  We were waiting in the lab area and Ella was sitting on one side of me and Zoe was on the other side.  There was an older man sitting across from us reading the newspaper.  Ella said to me, 'That man is crabby'.  I whispered to her that it's not polite to talk about other people, that it might make him feel bad if he heard, etc.,  She then told me he was just 'concentrating'.

I successfully changed the subject, for a few minutes.  Then Ella piped up with 'But mama, look at his face -- he IS crabby.'

At this point I was trying really hard not to laugh, her comments were so innocent and were actually true -- this guy did have a grumpy look on his face.  As I was trying to figure out what to say next (while trying not to make eye contact with anyone else in the waiting area, especially Mr. Crabby Face Man), Zoe piped up with 'Ella, he is concentrating, he is not dead'.

At that point I was hoping he was deaf, or at least didn't hear very well.  Like Tom said later, if he wasn't crabby before he probably was if he heard our little conversation.

We did have a good talk on the way home -- but I'm sure this is just the beginning.

It's still making me chuckle though.

2 comments:

Pat and Missy said...

So funny!

McCaffrey365 said...

Oh, that is so funny! I am just waiting for those days to happen over here. Will look to you for advice on how to handle them.